Today I am honored to have Neelam Sethi! Neelam is a parenting expert, HuffPo blogger, and has been featured on the New York Times and Farnoosh Torabi’s So Money podcast on how to raise successful children.
All of her children are success, but perhaps you have heard of Ramit Sethi or Nagina Sethi Abdullah? Ramit is an entrepreneur and the New York Times bestselling author of “I Will Teach You To Be Rich” and his sister Nagina is a full-time consultant and the founder of the health and fitness program Masala Body. Did you see the Pavlok pitch on SharkTank? That was their younger brother Maneesh. Their other sister is a full time medical doctor and mother of three.
We talk about how her attentive approach as a parent lead to her children’s success.
- Follow your instincts.
- Find what motivates your child and help them follow those motivations
- Ask specific questions about their day.
- What did you do at your 10 o’clock recess?
- What game did you play? Who did you play with? Who did you sit with at lunch?
- What subject did you not like today?
- Give them different titles for chores and make those tasks feel special i.e. Table setter, Door engineer, Pick up Crew, etc
- Add gratitude/meditation practice for your kids
- Just ask them in the morning and the evening what they are grateful for.
- “When they were children every sentence started with “when you go to college, when you go to high school, when you go to junior high” so it became a part of their life.” – Neelam
- “Anything, anything can be negotiated, and what’s the worst that can happen? They say no.” – Neelam
- “I told [my kids] nothing is permanent, everything can change, and you have to be prepared.” – Neelam
Remember you can highlight and share any text in this post, give it a try!
Neelam is a retired elementary school teacher. She also raised four motivated children. They went on to attend top universities, and became best-selling authors, entrepreneurs and a doctor.
She has been featured in the New York Times, Huffington Post and So Money podcast for her advice to raise motivated children.
To learn more about Neelam visit her website raisetopkids.com. Here, she shares her best advice to raise motivated children and you can get her “3 Strategies To Raise a Motivated Child.” If you would like to contact her directly email her at email@example.com.